Thoughts on Evaluating a Field Service Automation Solution (Thought #1)
We will be sharing our white paper "10 Thoughts on Evaluating a Field Service Automation Solution" white paper one thought at time over the next several weeks. If you can't stand the suspense, feel free to download the whole deal here. Now, on to Thought #1...
Thought #1: Make sure the solution is cloud-based.
Cloud-based Field Service Automation Solutions provide a number of cost benefits and can also be implemented more quickly and easily. Ensure that the solution is not just cloud-based however, check to see that it was designed for a cloud-based environment.
Some solutions, although marketed as cloud-based, are really systems that were designed for on-site implementations. This limits their scalability and also may result in performance issues because they are not optimized for the cloud.
Key business benefits of a cloud-based solution include:
- Reduced capital spending on technology infrastructure (hardware and software)
- Improved business efficiency – new applications and capabilities without capital investment or the need to hire additional personnel
- More rapid implementation of new technologies and capabilities
- Elimination of hardware and software maintenance costs
- Predictable costs for technology and services
- Ability to choose and use the capabilities and services needed as they are required
- Data is automatically backed up (disaster recovery) by the service provider
- Uses technologies most companies already have in place – smartphones or tablets and the Internet